POSITION: COMMUNITY SPECIALIST / WORKING WITH ONE CUSTOMER
JOB LOCATION: Kaposia Hennepin (8100 Wayzata Blvd., Golden Valley, MN) and out in the community.
JOB DUTIES: This position will support and supervise one individual with developmental disabilities in community integration and leisure/recreation. The employee will be trained in crisis prevention and non-violent intervention and will help develop behavioral support plans and procedures.
- Provide direct support and supervision in day-to-day activities, including community-based activities.
- Take initiative in researching, planning, scheduling, and implementing community-based leisure and recreation activities that meet the interests of the individual you are supporting.
- Provide support for emotional, behavioral, and mental health issues.
- Ensure quality customer service.
- Develop and maintain effective communication with Kaposia employees, the individual, and their support team.
- Develop and keep track of goals/objectives, collect data, write progress reports, and participate in all aspects of meetings related to your customer.
The duties and job assignments may vary depending upon the day and available activities. The individual has a keen interest in activities that include walking, going to museums and parks, visiting bookstores and other community-based activities.
DESIRED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- A four-year degree in a field related to human services, and one year work experience with individuals with developmental disabilities is preferred, OR a two-year degree in a field related to service provision, and two years of work experience with individuals with developmental disabilities is preferred, OR a diploma in community-based developmental disability services from an accredited post-secondary institution and two years of work experience with individuals with developmental disabilities is desired.
- Experience working with people with disabilities is preferred, but not required.
- Must have demonstrated good decision-making, problem solving, and judgment skills.
- Must be able to work without supervision once fully trained.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Must be able to keep clear communication with the support team.
- Must have basic computer skills.
- Maintain first aid/CPR/AED certification.
- Receive “cleared” status on background and fingerprinting process.
- Vehicle, valid driver’s license, and clean driving record required. The person in this position will have the option to use a company van when supporting the individual.
HOURS: Full Time (roughly 35-40 hours a week), Monday-Friday, 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM. Direct support with the individual will be between 9:00 AM and 2:00 PM. You must be flexible to attend meetings, training or other duties as required beyond regular work hours.
COMPENSATION: Non-Exempt, hourly position. Starting wage is between $17.00-$18.50 per hour depending on experience and education.
BENEFITS: Full-benefit package available after completing 2 full-months of employment. Benefits include medical (monthly employee contribution), dental, life insurance, AD & D, long-term disability, 401K, eight paid holidays, paid training, Personal Time Off (PTO) and Short-Term Leave (STL).